Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Again?

Small children fixate on things.

With some, it's watching the same movie everyday until another is presented to them. This particular practice has been brought back to my attention by seeing Kam's little brother, Asher, do it on a regular basis, most recently with Toy Story and A Charlie Brown Christmas. (HOCKEY STICK!) It reminded me of such occurrences in my own immediate family.
For my older brother, Danny, it was The NeverEnding Story. Equipped with sandwich, apple, and blanket (to drape over his head), Danny made himself comfortable and was captivated by the  fantastical story of a book that contained a magical world. For my younger brother, Sam, there was a small variety of films. First,  Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, then the dinosaur cartoon, We're Back!. Of course when Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves was released, it too was added to the madness. And i think, last but, not least, was The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride.

For me there was one and one only.


Rodgers & Hammerstein's The Sound of Music




You:         Now, that's kind of a long movie, isn't it? Especially for a small
                child.

Me:          I was utterly captivated by the music and by Julie Andrews herself.
                Have you ever heard a voice more beautiful?

As a child i wanted to do nothing but sing; we purchased the album and i sang... and sang. Julie Andrews was my inspiration; there's no way i could ever come close to her undeniable talent, but, somehow, i feel indebted to her. To her and to my parents, who taught me to love music and let me run with it in whatever direction i wanted.


I'm seriously considering doing and entire post on Julie...
mommmmm and pap too...



2 comments:

Katie Bell said...

Out of any of the movies mentioned, I'd be most inclined to watch your choice of movie daily. Sound of Music is where it's at.

Yankee Girl said...

I have a 4 year old niece who watched Elf and Mary Poppins all the time. I think she might be ready for Sound of Music.