Tuesday, November 8, 2011

[tunesday] Ximena Sarinana

I discovered her my sophomore year in high school. My spanish teacher would make us learn songs in spanish. I'd always listened to my parents music as a child, artists like Mercedes Sosa, Mocedades, Los Chaleros, Los Hermanos de Los Andes. And I enjoy that music. But I never quite felt there was a place for me in modern latino music. Most of what you hear now a days is Cumbia,or Reggaeton and I'm not really a fan. And I can't dance, especially not Cumbia (I struggle with fluid hip movement). 

We learned a lot of different songs in spanish class, mostly songs by Shakira (not a fan), but behold one day he showed us a song by Julieta Venegas. And I liked it. So I looked her up on iTunes (what a great place) and when I did it took me a to a page of Latin Grammy Award Winners, including Ximena Sarinana.

She became a favorite. And now she's singing in English. So I share.

Enjoy.



On my Journey to tap into my inner latina, I found some of my all time favorite artists.

2 comments:

Fashion Cappuccino said...

She has such a cool voice! xoxoxo

Bethany said...

She kind of sounds like Zooey Deschanel.