Friday, June 29, 2012

these nights

they drive me to blinking without end.
I blink until I don't remember.
my eyelids start to click as they open and close
and I wonder how I made it through these nights the last time.
I think 
and think again
trying to remember 
how I made it through these nights the last time.

with my window open I can feel the haze,
this thick summer night, it pins me down
it tells me what to say.
I'm listening carefully.

          
at least...
 I think I am.


sometimes, late at night, I stare into the darkness 
until I can't remember if my eyes are really open at all.

I stare and stare, searching,
 willing my eyes to see something,

anything.


sometimes in these nights,

when I stare

I'm afraid that I might really see something.

 out from the darkness, from the obscurity,


but more times I'm afraid that I won't see anything.


anything at all.



No comments: