Monday, July 30, 2012

in loop


I had forgotten that this book makes me laugh. Like, really laugh. We're not talking about a mirthless chuckle here, I don't think I've ever been able to utter anything close to a mirthless chuckle.

This is something of a big deal. I don't laugh at things like movies and books.
In conversation I can probably laugh louder and harder than anyone you've ever seen, so I do laugh, just in real situations. When it comes to books and movies it takes a certain kind of pithy humor to actually make me laugh out loud.  This kind of humor actually abounds in certain television shows, I usually don't have a problem laughing at TV. But that sort of abrupt, immediate, chuckle-inducing humor is pretty rare in books and movies.
I can actually count how many times I literally laughed out loud at a movie.

  1. The first time I watched Hot Rod, the part where he falls down the mountain for five minutes. I laughed the whole time, but just the first time. Watching it now, it's still funny, but I don't laugh out loud.
  2. When I first watched 17 Again, the part where the health teacher compares asking teenagers to practice abstinence to asking a porcupine to poop goat cheese. I guffawed in the theater, by myself. I guess I was the only one who thought it was that funny

When people suggest a book to me saying, "You've got to read it, it's so funny." I usually make up my mind right then and there that it's not a book I want to read.
I don't know what it is, most of the time when it's a book people read for humor it's exactly the kind of book I try to avoid.
When I pick up a book and it's speckled with reviews telling me how funny it is, I try to ignore it. Now and then I'll read a book that's supposed to be funny and I don't find it to be very funny at all. I must be missing something.

It's Kind of a Funny Story makes me laugh. It's great. I can't believe I had forgotten that it makes me laugh.

I love the movie and the book. You almost can't compare them, which is silly because the movie is based on the book. But that's really it. Just the base.
They're almost different stories, but not so drastic or disappointing like the Ella Enchanted movie/book fiasco (that movie made me want to smash things).

No not these, these are both balanced and beautiful in their own ways.

I think this is going to be a pattern for me here, reading books that are also movies.

I'm struggling while I wait for The Perks of Being a Wallflower to come out.
The other day at work, some girls came in and they were talking about Emma Watson saying she looks like a man...
Now, I'm a fan of E.W., while I'm not obsessed like some people are, I think she's very pretty. She's one of the few people who can pull off a haircut that short. I think she's lovely, and I think those girls were probably on drugs.

mmmm that's all for now.
sorry this isn't very structured, I'm too lazy to try right now...

Read a great book today,
or watch a funny movie.

I love funny things.

Smile.

2 comments:

Sara Harris said...

oh hot rod. i laughed endlessly at the same part. i will have to check out this book

Brooke Ashley O'Gwin said...

It's Kind of a Funny Story is definitely one of the few books that has had me laughing out loud. The movie didn't quite do it justice, surprise surprise.