Monday, September 10, 2012

and so it continues

I think as long as there's a cool breeze and the sky is clear, I can sit on that blue bench and it will always bring me back to him and that night.


...

All night everyone called him Kevin, and he'd respond like it really was his name. He'd catch my eye and give a sly smile, obviously pleased and entertained with this game he'd created for himself. 
We all laughed and talked and kicked the ball and ironically didn't watch the sky much.
Eventually we made our way to the playground, to the basketball hoops, to the blue bench.
and as it got later and later the group slowly slimmed and withered until it was just Calix, Kameron and me.
The three of us plopped down on that blue bench, our heads tilted skyward playing games to pass the time as we watched.
And there he sat, maybe six inches from me. It was the nearest he'd ever been, and I kept my eyes on the sky, drinking in his silence as he listened to us spout a song for every letter of the alphabet and then colors.
Calix got hungry and Kam had a car. Macey's is open twenty-four hours. 
We got into his car and he pulled out his ipod from his pocket and placed it in my hands. At that point in time the only band Kam and I shared was Cake. Love You Madly played and I stared out of the corner of my eye as he rapped his palm against the steering wheel to the beat.
We bought french bread and zebra cakes and drove to Kameron's house. The car was Jeff's and he had to work early in the morning. Calix and I waited on the front lawn while Kam went inside and dropped off the key. We walked to my house.
The air grew more chilled. I grabbed a blanket from inside and the three of us sat on my front steps in the glow of the porch light. We passed the french bread back and forth. Calix ate the zebra cakes. We talked about music and movies and things we thought were funny, which was just about everything considering that fact that it was the middle of the night.
We sat there and rambled. babbled. gabbed.
It was nearly 6am when we decided to call it a night. We walked to Kam's and bid him adieu, and to Calix's where I said goodbye then walked slowly home breathing in the morning light, happier than I could ever remember being at 6 o'clock in the morning.


1 comment:

Leann Allred said...

I love this :) you live a charmed life.