Saturday, November 3, 2012

Sunday, September 13, 2009

They changed Personal Progress again. I was nearly finished and then they go and add a whole other value at the last second. I have from now until my birthday to read the entire Book of Mormon...
I talked to Brother Taeger about it and he said that if I read 18 pages a day I can finish in a month. It sounded easy enough, I read 18 pages in books all the time. But let me be clear it is not even the same. I get distracted very easily while reading the scriptures, voices downstairs, my parents talking in their room, Sam's music next door, a piece of paper on the floor of my room. My solution was to take it outside, on the front lawn or porch, and it's helped a lot.
After church, around 4 o'clock, everyone took a nap in the living room, so I took my scriptures out on the porch and dove in willing myself to focus. Around six I took a break to stretch my neck and back, and when I looked up I saw a familiar silhouette. It was Kameron, he was walking around the track across the street. My fingertips were pulsing for a minute, he was right there, and I wanted to talk to him BUT I needed to finish reading for the day and I was almost done, so I dove in again. 
Twenty minutes later, just as I was finishing up my reading I felt a raindrop. I looked up and Kameron was gone. I set my scriptures inside the house, everyone was still sleeping, so I walked barefoot across the street to the field, running and dancing around in the rain and the sprinklers. I was sure the rain was what sent Kameron away, pointing my head to the west I laid back on the wet grass and wished that he had stayed. With my head still on the ground I arched my back to look around me at all the sprinklers when something small caught the corner of my eye. There was someone. Someone a few hundred feet away sitting on the landing beneath the metal awning of one of the elementary school's trailers, looking at me?
I turned my head to the left side to try get a better view. Indeed there was someone there watching me, and that someone was Kameron. I supposed that when the rain had begun he'd taken to the trailer for shelter. I had been out in the field for nearly 20 minutes and he'd been there, looking on, the whole time. I laid there and thought for awhile about what to do. Eventually I sat upright, looking straight ahead. I didn't want to let on that I'd seen him, for fear that he'd shrink away. I decided to continue to play with the sprinklers like I had been before I'd seen him. But then it stopped raining.
I had found a wet piece of paper and walked over to the blacktop to lay it out to dry and try to decipher the smudged ink when I heard gravelly footsteps coming toward me. I stood up just in time to get in his way as he was about to walk past me. 
Earphones in and holding his iPod he stopped in front of me and he looked nervous. I said hello and he said hi back very quietly. I asked him if I could walk around the track with him for a while and he nodded his head. So we walked, his sneakers on the gravel, my bare feet in the grass beside him. We talked a little about dreams, but mostly we just walked. At nine o' clock it was dark, so I bid him adieu and hustled on home. Once I was in the house I watched him circle the track one more time before he headed home too, and I smiled.

It wasn't until later that Kam told me that that night wasn't the first time he had walked around the track to catch a glimpse of me on my porch or sitting in my front lawn, it was just the first time I noticed him there. But it wasn't the last time either....



6 comments:

Hutch Y. said...

D'awwwwww!!

Bethany said...

I love this. Ilovethis. You are so cool and have a nice tone to your writings.

Katrina Marie said...

Yes, keep posting these, it's adorable!

Meredith said...

you have a way with words like no other. its so incredibly pleasant.

Erin said...

I love this so much. And I agree, it's so easy and nice to get lost in your stories.

Kelsey said...

ok. i'm dying. this is so sweet.